Your adventures in National Novel Writing Month. This podcast covers the event where writers try to complete 50,000 words in 30 days.
EPISODE 4: Show 'em the Action
Ben and Jim discuss the best things they’ve read in the last month and define and discuss the timeless idea of showing instead of telling. The podcast finishes with a great discussion of cinematic writing and mentions advice from Jon F. Merz.
- Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clark)
- Report from an Unidentified Spacestation (J.G. Ballard)
- Typee (Herman Melville)
- The Lawson Vampire Series (Jon F. Merz)
- Write about Dragons (Brandon Sanderson)
Question for listeners: Are you ready to write? What scene are you most excited to show your reader?
- Ben Alexander runs BlackRectangle.net and is starting his second season of NaNoWrimo. He can be followed on Twitter @mistahben and on the NaNo site at mistahben.
- Jim Markus, the creator of “Write with Lions”, runs MoreKnown.com and is starting his sixth season of NaNoWriMo. Jim is on Twitter @jimmarkus and on the NaNo site at jim-markus.
Both can be also found on the Stuff Smart People Like Podcast.